The Ball Street Journal

Filed under Featured News, News

Ball High Government Students Cast Their Votes

Mr. Bradley Cox, Ball High Government teacher, introduced his students to the responsibilities of maintaining a democracy by having his classes participate in a mock vote for the mid-term elections.

Below are the resulting percentages of the “Mock Vote” of select political candidates regarding the current election.  The vote was taken on Thursday last week, 11/1, and at Ball’s Government classes during 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 7th & 8th period, which contains junior and senior students

Footnote:  Historically, Galveston Island in recent years has voted Democratic, but Galveston County has voted Republican, so there may be some surprises on the actual voting totals on Tuesday, 11/6.  The noticeable surprise is the larger than expected number of Libertarian votes.

Ted Cruz won the statewide Senate race with 51% of the vote while the Ball government students gave him 43.5% of the vote. Beto O’Rourke collected 46.5% of the Ball vote, but only 48% of the statewide votes. Libertarian Meal Kikeman earned 10% of the Ball vote, but a mere 1% in the state election.

In the governor’s race, 45.5% of the government students voted for Republican Greg Abbott while 56% of the statewide voters cast their ballots for Abbott. Democrat Lupe Valdez collected 38.6% of the student vote and 42% of the statewide vote. Libertarian Mark Tippetts earned 15.9% of the student vote, but only 2% statewide.

Of the major candidates for Lt. Governor, Dan Patrick garnered the fewest votes from the Ball electorate. According to Mr. Carpenter (sponsor of the school newspaper), this was perhaps a reflection of his days as a mediocre sports announcer in the Houston area. Only 28.7% of the government students gave him their votes while 45.5% of the students cast their ballots for Mike Collier. Libertarian Kerry McKennon earned 25.8% of the student votes, trailing Patrick by 3%.

Statewide Patrick led with 51%, followed by Collier with 46% and Kerry with a mere 2%.

Democrat Justin Nelson led all candidates for the Attorney General’s office with 42.5% of the Ball High student’s vote while Republican Ken Paxton garnered 34.7% and Libertarian Michael Harris netted 22.8%.

Statewide Paxton received 51% to Nelson’s 47% with Harris collecting 2%.