The Ball Street Journal

Filed under News

Ball High’s Academic UIL Meet

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ball High’s Academic UIL Meet

Students and coaches of Ball High School’s UIL team (academics; science; mathematics, history and journalism) travelled 28 miles on the signature yellow school bus Saturday, February 16, to Clear Creek High School for a UIL academic contest.

The meet lasted from 8 A.M. to 3:30 P.M. and ended with some close hitters for the first time competitors from Ball High, including the mathematics team and a member of The Ball Street Journal’s staff, both scoring fourth place at their first meets. The practice meets started with anxious and thrilled teenagers, wanting to get the meets over with, and ended with the students relieved and hungry for the district meet.

The early Saturday morning started at around 6 A.M. with the eager members arriving 20 minutes early and some 10 minutes late. As the UIL members entered the bus, their tired faces were met with a gleeful welcome by the bus driver who transported the students from school to school safely. The bus held the teams, whose members had become closer by the end of the meets, and as they connected their headphones to the open jacks of their phones, the twisting in their stomachs grew stronger as they witnessed Ball High vanish from their view as Clear Creek High drew nearer.

Various coaches and teams were already situated and prepared at their tables as Ball High’s UIL teams entered the cafeteria. The teams had a moment to breath before devouring their studies or relaxing at their phones; the coaches offered snacks along with food and water. By 9 A.M. the first meeting took place and it heightened the tense atmosphere those in the cafeteria had already created. Each hour a new round took place until 2: 30 when the rounds took a halt while the judges scored the results.

Meanwhile, the members were treated with pizza and fruit snacks which they ate while bonding over a game of UNO and exploring the vast school.

By 3:30 all judges had finished their scoring and Ball high’s UIL mathematics and Ball Street Journal knew they scored 4th place at their first meet. The UIL Academic team will compete in the district contest March 30, at Friendswood High School.