The Ball Street Journal

Filed under News

Mathematics: Easy as Pi

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mathematics: Easy as Pi

Sea Star Base Galveston (SSBG) and SMART Family Literacy invite curious middle and high school students and families to Pi Day Galveston, a celebration of math and maritime, on March 14th beginning at 1:59 pm at SSBG, 7509 Broadway (I-45 feeder road). Pi Day is celebrated around the country on March 14th, because of its connection to 3.14, the decimal approximation of the never ending nonrepeating number. Math enthusiasts and Pi Day punsters enjoy eating pie, especially at 3:14 P.M., singing “Happy Birthday” to Albert Einstein, and exploring math activities. Although pi goes on forever and ever, the first six digits are 3.14159, which is why the event will happen on 3/14 beginning at 1:59P.M.

“Partners and volunteers, including Valero Energy employees, are bringing infinite variety this year,” said Liz Turner from SMART. Ball High School’s math honor society, Mu Alpha Theta, is preparing hands-on museum-style exhibits about the sine wave, Moebius strips, and coordinate planes. Thanks to Houston-based nonprofit, Comp-U-Dopt, participants will be able to learn how to fly a drone and experience a virtual reality headset, like the ones used in Comp-U-Dopt’s after school programs in Houston and Galveston. Comp-U-Dopt is dedicated to digital literacy and technology access.

Pi Day Galveston is different from other Pi Day events nationwide because it links math and maritime studies. “Math floats my boat,” said SSBG’s Captain of the BaySmart Express, Margaret Candler,” and I want students of all ages and their parents to see the link between math and working on the water.” SSBG is a one-of-a-kind, high-adventure and educational destination offering diverse programs in sailing, maritime and STEM education, and aquatic sports.

Liz Turner, Executive Director and Founder of SMART Family Literacy said, “Early literacy is the key to school readiness, but math is the path to careers with higher starting salaries.” Turner’s Galveston-based organization presents innovative educational programs in science, math, art, reading, and technology (SMART). The groups co-sponsors Pi Day Galveston to mark the importance of the M in SMART.

Pi Day Galveston admission is free. Items will be available for purchase for $3.14, including “Frito Pi” and t-shirts for math-y artists to paint at the event. Participants are encouraged to wear favorite math t-shirts with the worst puns they can find. To volunteer or learn more about Pi Day