The Ball Street Journal

Filed under News

The Future Is Digital

Online schooling is not a new concept, nor is it unique to the United States. It first started rolling around more than a decade ago and since then those concepts of online education have become a reality.

Parinita Gohil, the cofounder of Learning Delight, emphasizes that the relationship between teachers and students has changed because of technology. “Today’s student has access to a variety of sources for information, as opposed to simply learning what is being taught at school. The methodology of teaching for such curious minds, therefore, is evolving as well, and becoming more and more interactive and engaging, thanks to digital means.”

There are colleges that actively advertise their online programs such as Ashford University and the Houston Community College.  These schools paint their offerings as the future of education and highlight their convenience and ease of use.

Websites fully devoted to education like Masterclass, and Brilliant that focuses more on mathematics and science, assemble professionals from an array of vocations and give them a chance to teach in ways never seen in the classroom,

According to Jim Cooper of EmergingEdTech, “Overall, online degrees are growing at 25% per year and that trend shows no signs of stopping anytime soon.” The progress of online education has hit a few snags, but thanks to improving technology online classes appear more attractive to enterprising students.  “Unfortunately, problems including lack of student engagement led to huge drop-out rates.  However, the lessons learned from these experiences paved the way for improvements and future advancements in education.”

Today’s students not only embrace technology, they demand it in their lives. Cooper adds that “For the first time, modern online learning tools, such as Möbius, Maplesoft’s online courseware platform, allow both instructors and students to understand where they are in the learning process. This leads to competency-based learning, where we no longer have to teach the same way to all students but can instead adapt the materials to suit their particular needs.”

However, professional and higher level education is not the only application of online schooling. Regions exist where too few professionals and educated people inhabit to facilitate an education for everyone who wants one. Online schooling offers a path to these people that they would never have otherwise. Online schooling allows educators to teach from anywhere on earth and reach the entire planet. With these developments in the field of education, the future not only looks bright, it looks digital.