The Ball Street Journal

Filed under News

The Socrates Club: An Oasis of Reasonableness in a Desert of Rising Intolerance

Back to Article
Back to Article

“Those who take part in the Socrates Club share the belief of the fifth century BC philosopher Socrates that continual close encounters with others of a philosophical kind, engaging in impassioned yet thoughtful exchanges of ideas and ideals, is a portal to sculpting what the Greeks of old called Arête —all-around excellence, of a sort that is an individual and collective pursuit rolled into one.” Socratic Clubs throughout the world pursue the dialogue and discussions made famous by the classical Greek philosopher,” wrote Christopher Phillips, the founder of The Socrates Café.

The Ball High Socrates Club, sponsored by Gerald May, meets every Tuesday after school in room 2041. All Ball High students are welcome to drop in and join the wide-ranging discussions.         

“The greatest danger to the pursuit of truth, goodness, and beauty, today, is the vacuous bombardment of stimuli that screams through our cell phones and kills the soul of every human.”  Gerald May