The Ball Street Journal

Filed under News

The “Divine” Presidency

Evangelical Christians believe that Donald Trump’s presidency will expedite the end of the world (Armageddon). Second generation televangelists (Christian ministers, whether official or self-proclaimed, who devote a large portion of their ministry to television broadcasting) Jerry Falwell Jr. and Franklin Graham (second generation evangelical preachers) believe Trump is president because God wills it.

“Many evangelical speakers and media outlets compare Trump to Cyrus, a historical Persian king who, in the sixth century BCE, conquered Babylon and ended the Babylonian captivity, a period during which Israelites had been forcibly resettled in exile,” said Tara Burton of VOX. “This allowed Jews to return to the area now known as Israel and build a temple in Jerusalem. Cyrus is referenced most prominently in the Old Testament book of Isaiah; in which he appears as a figure of deliverance.”

Right before the 2018 midterms, about a thousand theaters screened “The Trump Prophecy,” a film that tells the story of Mark Taylor, a former firefighter who says that God told him about Donald Trump being elected as president. White evangelicals were crucial to Trump’s electoral victory; 81%, some 28 million, voted for him, according to The Guardian.

Evangelicals believe that Trump doesn’t have to be a Christian to be part of God’s plan. Many believe that Trump has come to tear down the corrupt order just as Nebuchadnezzar did. And just as the pagan Nebuchadnezzar had the prophet Daniel to counsel him Mr. Trump has godly men around him. Governor Pence, Jerry Falwell Jr, Mike Huckabee.

In my opinion, today’s Christian nationalists are narrow-minded because they think they don’t have to follow any rules.  They believe they are the law. This makes them ideal leaders in paranoid times. If you’re watching President Trump on television and he disappears, you’ll know that the evangelicals were right, and Trump has been swept up in the rapture.

Vice-President Mike Pence tells his followers. “Christian believers will — soon, I hope — become the consummate, perfect governing authorities!”