The Ball Street Journal

Filed under Featured News, News, Sports

Tors Hunted By Falcons!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tors Hunted By Falcons!

Plenty of penalties and a most unfortunate turnover hit Ball High’s offense last Friday as the Tors stumbled against Foster Falcons.m The Tors finished the game with 12 penalties for 110 yards, nine of which came in the first half of the game. The Tors attempted a spirited comeback in the second half, but couldn’t come up with a final defensive stop in the end.

“Obviously, Foster is a good team, but I think mentally, we have to grow up as a team and learn to play and fight through some of that stuff,” Ball High Kimble Anders said. “We need leadership, we need guys to push eachother. It’s going to get tough in the middle of the game; you’ve got to be able to depend on somebody.”

Ball High drew first blood in the game after Foster running back Isaac Johnson threw up the ball on a run up the middle and linebacker/receiver Nigel Green took the fumble at the Tors’ 48-yard line. Running back Clarence Dalton bashed the defense for a 45-yard rushing TD on a run up the gut.

On the Tors next drive, a 43-yard pass connection from Martavian Jackson to Green helped set up a 9-yard TD run by Jackson on a QB keeper to put the Tors back ahead, 14-7, midway through the first quarter. A 44-yard run by Mario Simmons put the Falcons on Ball High’s 3-yard line, receiver Cody Jackson caught a jump ball, which came down to tie the score 14-14 with only 4:17 left in the first quarter.

Reserve quarterback Graham Ledbetter attempted to turn the misfortune of a fumbled snap on a 22-yard Tors field goal into a TD, but the pass was intercepted by Isaac Johnson. Ball High’s defense held Foster to three-and-out and a blocked punt set up the Tors at the Falcons’ 1-yard line. Jackson plunged into the end zone one play later.

Midway through the third quarter a 25-yard goal by Zach Lerner put the Falcons’ lead 27-17, and a wild special teams sequence ended with the Tors trimming the lead 27-24. Foster put together a 10-play, 83-yard TD drive that drained 5:19 off the clock and sealed the game 34-24.

“We had opportunities,” Anders said. “We started off pretty good, we just didn’t finish.”

Quarterback Martavian Jackson unleashes a bomb against the falcons.

Lines clash in Falcon Tor shoot out.

The Tors (2-1, 0-1 in District 10-5A-I) return to the field at 7 p.m. on Friday October 5 against Friendswood (3-0) at Kermit Courville Stadium.